- The guy who invented poker was bright, but the guy who invented the chip was a genius. ~Julius “Big Julie” Weintraub
- The commonest mistake in history is underestimating your opponent; it happens at the poker table all the time. ~David Shoup
- Cards are war, in disguise of a sport. ~Charles Lamb
- I believe in poker the way I believe in the American Dream. Poker is good for you. It enriches the soul, sharpens the intellect, heals the spirit, and — when played well, nourishes the wallet. ~Lou Krieger
- Whether he likes it or not, a man’s character is stripped at the poker table; if the other players read him better than he does, he has only himself to blame. Unless he is both able and prepared to see himself as others do, flaws and all, he will be a loser in cards, as in life. ~Anthony Holden
- Hold’em — like life itself — has its defining moment. It’s the flop. When you see the flop, you’re looking at 71 percent of your hand, and the cost is only a single round of betting. ~Lou Krieger
- Most of the money you’ll win at poker comes not from the brilliance of your own play, but from the ineptitude of your opponents. ~Lou Krieger
- Poker is 100% skill and 50% luck.
- Don’t challenge strong players, challenge weak ones. That’s what they’re there for.
- You can’t let it get you down when somebody knocks you out of a tournament playing a hand they shouldn’t have played. Without these types of players, nobody would win any amount of money, so sometimes you just have to take your medicine.
T J Cloutier